Skip to main content

Pieces of Motherhood


This is a story about the Master Potter and his mysterious ways of restoration. When the Japanese mend broken objects, such as broken pottery, they would distinguish and glorify the damage by filling in the cracks with gold. They believe when something has suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful.

God too works with Gold, his healing color of grace, light, mercy, truth and love.  Tales of two broken pieces of Motherhood miraculously bonded together by the Gold of God’s promises… We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.

***
It’s Winter break and a 17-year-old girl finds herself at a college party.  She has no cares in the world - the only thing on her mind is having fun. She is getting close to finishing up her junior year of high school and then she will be a senior! Just one more year after that and she is outta there! Maybe to this college? Maybe to another state all together? She fantasizes about living close to the ocean, perhaps studying Marine Biology. It doesn’t really matter… whatever path she takes – it will be one far away from here! She will finally be able to go out into the world and explore and find her way for herself, no parents controlling her every move. No one telling her what to think or how to act. For those very reasons, her parents don’t even know that right this very moment she is a 2-hour drive from home partying with College kids she has never met before.

A month later, the unthinkable has happened. This 17-year-old girl full of dreams for her future realizes she is pregnant.  Her mind has never even imagined herself as a mother – not this young. Not this way. But here she is, pregnant, scared, alone. Her mind is spinning out of control. Who can she talk to? With shame and regret and terror she acknowledges to herself she doesn’t even know the name of the father. He was older, what, like 5 years? It was all such a blur now. Did he go that college or was he just at the party like her? She thinks he had blonde hair – he was tall….. strong…. Handsome… but it was so dark. Only flashes of the night come through.

That day she makes up her mind. The only thing she can do is run away, have her baby in secret and give it up for adoption. She needs to make her plans quickly, before anyone finds out. She vows her parents will never know. Her dreams of freedom have suddenly been traded for the chains of her reality. She has become a mother. She will now forever be a mother. When the day arrives for her baby to come into the world, she makes the ultimate sacrifice to give her away. Her dreams are now for her baby, that she will never hold. That was the day she finally split into two. What had started out as a hairline crack 9 months ago has turned into a jagged edge, broken, separate. She names her broken piece “Motherhood”.

***
Meet another young girl – she is 18. She is in love, newly married to her high-school sweetheart and full of dreams for their life together and building a family. Reality comes crashing in when after a routine doctor’s appointment she is told she will never be able to have children of her own.

She does her best to fill her life with other ambitions, being a good wife… helping her husband get through college, then through Grad school. She pursues developing her own career and cultivating her friendships and hobbies. But after years and years go by the emptiness of her unfilled hope remains. So together, her husband and her decide to pursue adoption.

Their first baby comes quickly – a beautiful healthy girl. So they decide to make their family complete and adopt for a second and final time. Their second baby girl arrives healthy and loved and cherished in the heart of her new mother who never for 1 second thinks of this child as anything but her own. She now feels complete. Her deepest desire to become a mother has been fulfilled. And just as she starts to settle in to her new role, the Lord blesses her with a child of her own growing in her womb! Her dreams of her perfect family have come to fruition… within four years she has 3 babies: her 2 girls and her baby boy. She has made it out of her desert of desperation she wandered from age 18 to 38. But then just three short years later from giving birth to her own child - her marriage of 25 years falls apart as her husband walks out the door. All of her dreams of family and marriage and motherhood smash to the floor. She is a mother now. She will always be a mother. But she is left to raise her babies alone. She tells herself she is broken.

***
These are two stories of motherhood I wanted to share with you because they have come together in the Master Potter’s hands to form who I am today…. These are portraits of pieces of both of my mother’s lives.


I was the baby of the scared 17-year-old girl whom in God’s perfect timing placed me in the loving arms of my mother as her adopted second child. The Gold of God’s love fused the 3 of us together for life. Both of these girls had their own conceived “perfect” plans for their lives. But the Lord works in mysterious ways. Their plans, just like the Japanese pottery – were damaged.

And just as God’s word’s tells us we are but jars of clay – fragile and broken..
hard pressed on every side, but not crushed;
perplexed, but not in despair;
persecuted but not abandoned;
struck down, but not destroyed


Their stories have taught me even though the cracks of life continue to form in our hopes, dreams, hearts and plans for our own life… the story isn’t over…the masterpiece isn’t complete…

God promises his light in our hearts and HIS healing power to restore…
He can and will be faithful to fill our cracks with Gold.
Remember the beauty is found when something has suffered damage and has a history … not from its perfection.
Because in our weakness, He is strong!


This is my story of the broken, beautiful pieces of Motherhood.

“For God made his light shine in our hearts… But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that his all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.” 2 Corinthians 4:6-9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am With You

...This poem was inspired by the Bible Study I'm in, covering the Book of Deuteronomy...  I am in a desert. I have lost my way. Oh Lord, speak to me... I need to hear you today! Remind me you are here. ...You've brought me this way. You have more for me! I need to hear you say... "You too have a Promised Land! Just look at my hand... see? Lean into my arms, gaze at my plans... Let Me set you free! Though your lost in a desert... Though you've lost your way... I am with you here, my child... I am with you today!" ~Carole A. Smith 10/3/12

This Can’t Be You…

I have been attending my Christian Writing/Editing Group bi-weekly for roughly two years now.   For the same amount of time I have been slowly but surely chipping away on my first book, a Memoir.   Some of the chapters are extremely telling and memories that I don’t really want to remember let alone share with others.    But they are my stories and they need to be told… so the reader can know me, relate to me and hopefully heal with me.   I read one of those uncomfortable chapters last week aloud in my group.   Chapter 3 - which should give you a pretty good idea about how long I have been holding this one back.   I have been waiting until I feel safe.   I have been waiting to see if my writing is “good enough”.   I have been waiting for someone to tell me to stop writing because it’s not good, so I don’t have to read the hard ones.   But this hasn’t happened.   So I keep writing, I keep attending and I keep reading. Today as I sit down to go over my edits and colleagues re

Life goes on...

Sunday may have been my personal proverbial five minutes of fame .   It was wonderful.   It was exhilarating.   It was nerve-wracking.   It was addicting.   And now it is over. I feel incomplete. Like something is missing. Empty. I am Empty. This troubles me, so I muse.   I analyze.   I dig around, within myself, to find a root.   To extract it.   Completely.   Like a weed, so that it will not spread.   So that it will not choke-out the good that I have planted.   Nurtured, painstakingly, until I saw the first blooms.   My garden is fragile.   Temperamental.   I must always keep a steady eye and ready hand upon the first shoots of a weed. So I dig.   I think back upon this experience.   It began a little over three months ago.   February 9 th , to be exact.   The moment I read the non-conspicuous call for local writers to audition for a reading of their personal story on motherhood.   I wasn’t expecting the invitation, which made it even more delightful; spontaneous.