Skip to main content

Peace in His Promise: How I found Hope this Holiday Season

Happy Holidays

We are in full swing for the Holiday Season and for a lot of us it is an exciting time full of thoughts of love and families coming together and fabulous home made meals where everyone gathers around the table and sings “Kum-by-ya”.

But for some of us, it can be a time of sadness, anxiety, depression, full of regrets and darkness. For me, I have my nice little family that includes myself, Brett, Zack and Haleigh but when you start expanding outside of that, there is a lot of brokenness in relationships: divorce, relational-distance, banishment…relationships that are way off the mark from God’s intention.

Holidays Highlight my Brokenness

I am from a Christian family, but it is and has always been a broken family from its very foundation. Because of divorce when I was three, my family of origin consists of my mother, my older sister, my younger brother, and myself. It has been over 13 years that the four of us have been together to celebrate the Holiday’s as a family. I have not spoken to my sister in over a year and a half and it has been several years since my siblings and I have even bothered to pick up a phone or send a card to each other for the Holidays.


The Challenge

As a team, my coworker's and I from LA County FCA read the book Draw the Circle. A very high level summary of the book is a 40-day challenge to circle our prayers – to kneel down with our prayers and draw a circle around our prayers and ourselves. A challenge to persistently and consistently lift those prayers up to the Lord until He answers it with a yes or no.

With the Holidays approaching one of my coworkers asked me if I was going home to visit family and I said NO, with what I can only image could be described as a look and tone of distaste and irritation. He challenged me if I had drawn a circle around it. My immediate response was “well yeah, I’ve been praying about this for YEARS!”

So that was that, at least so I thought. But three days later, after church I was reading my Draw the Circle devotion for the day and the Lord impressed on my heart that I should invite my mom to circle our family in prayer for 40 days. The idea was a like a sudden brainstorm that excited me and seemed to have such a promise of hope wrapped up in it during such an anticipated time of Holiday Hopelessness. So I immediately called my mom to tell her my idea. I invited her to specifically, with me for the next 40 days, to draw a circle around our family of four. I committed to calling her or emailing her every day for the next 40 days to let her know that I had prayed for our family.


Unexpected Benefit of a Holy Spirit Brainstorm

What you need to understand first and foremost is that my mom is 83 years old. She lives alone in a different state than my siblings and myself. She has experienced the same broken relationships with my brother and sister. It has been years since she has seen my sister.  She has been alone since my father and her divorced 40 years ago. She can go for days, to weeks, to sometimes even entire months without hearing from me, my sister or my brother. She can go days to weeks, from not hearing from anyone.

For her to not only send but to actually receive daily emails or a phone call from one of her children was a hope like living water itself.


Pray Different

During the 40-day devotions with my mom one afternoon I happened to be home alone when I felt the need to go pray. I began to pray my standard prayer for my family that I have prayed for years – I asked the Lord for reconciliation and I cried out for restoration. As I voiced my desires, I felt this gentle wave of truth wash over my heart. It was as though Jesus himself was knelling down behind me, with his hand rested on my back, and I heard Him whisper to my heart, There is nothing in that relationship to restore. It is broken. It has been broken from the very beginning. Today is a NEW day! And the plans I have for you are NEW, not based on the old.


Speak God’s Word

The next day, as I was reading again all of a sudden it clicked for me. The book tells us to circle the promises that the Lord has for us in His word. Not the promises you dream up for yourself. So I began a Google search for Bible verses about broken relationships. What does the Lord have to say about brokenness in His word, what are His promises in the Bible? My search resulted in a list of about 15 different topical verses. So one by one, I began to read God’s word out loud. What I have found to be true for myself, is when I speak God’s word out loud my spirit within me will give testimony to the truth - for God’s truth He has specifically for me. I will have a physical reaction- tears will appear from nowhere, or I will have an accelerated heart rate.

This is God’s truth, His promise, He Spoke to me on this day:

The Valley of Dry Bones (Ezekiel 37: 1-6 (NIV)

“The hand of the Lord was on me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry. He asked me, “Son of man, can these bones live?” I said, “Sovereign Lord, you alone know.” Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! This is what the Sovereign Lord says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life. I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.’”

Peace in the Promise

I don’t have a resolution for God’s promise He gave me, but I’ll tell you what I do have: faith! Never before have I had such a deep peace about my family. It is actually quite something to have peace within brokenness. This prayer I am praying – claiming, are not my words, but the Lords. His words do not return void. His word is true. His word is eternal. Maybe He will work this out in my lifetime, perhaps He will work it out in my children’s lifetime, but regardless of timing, my testimony today, is that I have peace in His promise and I have faith in the Lord!

Prayer

Dear Lord, you are so good! Thank you for loving me so much that you have had relentless patience with me! Thank you for your gentle promptings and your tenderness in opening my heart and mind to receive your truth. You riches are laid out like a treasure map for us, clearly marking your way for us to receive everything you have planned for us. Your timing is yours alone to know. Forgive me for being stubborn and blind in my own ways and prayers. Forgive me for not believing you are capable of amazing things like bringing life to a valley of dried bones! I trust you, and your timing. I love you.


Lessons from My Heart to Yours
11.  Listen, have an open mind and open heart to listen to our brothers and sisters in Christ when they speak the truth and have a voice of accountability to share with us.
22.  Make room for quiet moments with the Lord so you can hear Him speak to you. And when He speaks, trust Him and take action in faith that it is His voice.
33.  Pray  & mix it up! When we get into our day-to-day routines and ruts of prayer we marginalize God’s power to act in our life. Pray a new prayer, in a new place and in a new way!
44. Search the Lords word and read His word out loud! Search out His truth He has for you by discovering His promises He has in the Bible.
55.  Claim His promise. Circle His promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am With You

...This poem was inspired by the Bible Study I'm in, covering the Book of Deuteronomy...  I am in a desert. I have lost my way. Oh Lord, speak to me... I need to hear you today! Remind me you are here. ...You've brought me this way. You have more for me! I need to hear you say... "You too have a Promised Land! Just look at my hand... see? Lean into my arms, gaze at my plans... Let Me set you free! Though your lost in a desert... Though you've lost your way... I am with you here, my child... I am with you today!" ~Carole A. Smith 10/3/12

This Can’t Be You…

I have been attending my Christian Writing/Editing Group bi-weekly for roughly two years now.   For the same amount of time I have been slowly but surely chipping away on my first book, a Memoir.   Some of the chapters are extremely telling and memories that I don’t really want to remember let alone share with others.    But they are my stories and they need to be told… so the reader can know me, relate to me and hopefully heal with me.   I read one of those uncomfortable chapters last week aloud in my group.   Chapter 3 - which should give you a pretty good idea about how long I have been holding this one back.   I have been waiting until I feel safe.   I have been waiting to see if my writing is “good enough”.   I have been waiting for someone to tell me to stop writing because it’s not good, so I don’t have to read the hard ones.   But this hasn’t happened.   So I keep writing, I keep attending and I keep reading. Today as I sit down to go over my edits and colleagues re

Life goes on...

Sunday may have been my personal proverbial five minutes of fame .   It was wonderful.   It was exhilarating.   It was nerve-wracking.   It was addicting.   And now it is over. I feel incomplete. Like something is missing. Empty. I am Empty. This troubles me, so I muse.   I analyze.   I dig around, within myself, to find a root.   To extract it.   Completely.   Like a weed, so that it will not spread.   So that it will not choke-out the good that I have planted.   Nurtured, painstakingly, until I saw the first blooms.   My garden is fragile.   Temperamental.   I must always keep a steady eye and ready hand upon the first shoots of a weed. So I dig.   I think back upon this experience.   It began a little over three months ago.   February 9 th , to be exact.   The moment I read the non-conspicuous call for local writers to audition for a reading of their personal story on motherhood.   I wasn’t expecting the invitation, which made it even more delightful; spontaneous.