Skip to main content

What Does Your List Say?



On Sunday, Brett and I were snuggled-up on the couch talking. Haleigh, our 7-year-old first grader was sitting on the floor next to us with a notebook and pen in her hand. (She too has the burden of writing swelling inside her.) She loves to doodle and draw and write lists and letters and sentences and poems and stories.... and, and, and. We weren't really paying her any particular attention, but rather enjoying our time together in the same space, doing separate activities. That is when Haleigh asked if she could read us something she wrote. Of course we said “Of course!” She proceeded to read us a list of words that described her brother. I asked, "Do you know what those words are called?" And with a snappy response she said, "Yeah…, they are adjectives." in a tone that suggested Duh, who doesn't know that mom? Yes, I did say she was 7... Lord have mercy on me over these next 11 years!


Brett and I were amused.  We all shared a good chuckle about the words she choose and I was sitting there thinking how darn smart and intuitive my cute little daughter is all the while beaming with pride. Then she asked if we were ready to hear the list about me...


Um... ok... sure.

"Sure, sweetheart, go ahead."

Holding my breath, now.

  
This is what she wrote:

Crazy-Carole (She even gave it a title!)

  • Talking
  • Gossiping
  • Spying
  • Sleeping
  • Reading
  •  Romantic
  • Make Fun
  • Clueless

Ouch... some of that hurt.

Talking. Gossiping. Make Fun.




Wow.



It just so happens that the Session for my Bible Study, just two days prior, was Believing God's Word is Alive and Active in Me from Beth Moore's Believing God. One of the main points that resonated with me from the study was our words are potent. And that using our words (through our mouth or writing) inappropriately is an effective way to NOT BE used by the Lord to our fullest potential.

Now, lest you all think I was sitting on my couch, talking-smack about someone, right after church and in front of my child, I most assuredly was not.  Not this day anyway.  But I was talking to Brett about someone and I was laughing.  My child, who wasn’t specifically tuning into my exact words, interpreted that as Talking, Gossiping, Make Fun.

It is easy to go about our days-our lives, thinking we can say and do whatever we may, but people are watching us.  Our spouse, our children, our family, our friends, even complete strangers.  Oh yes, and how about this one… God! 

I don’t know about you, but I want my words to be potent.  I want my words to bless.  Imagine the powerful, mighty, persuasive force you can be to others with this kind of intention in what you allow to come forth from your lips or putting your pen to the page!

Do you know what your list would say today? 

 “Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.” Psalm 141:3

Comments

  1. Powerful words....and out of the mouths of babes. Sometimes that kind of innocent honesty is what we need to hear.
    J.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Am With You

...This poem was inspired by the Bible Study I'm in, covering the Book of Deuteronomy...  I am in a desert. I have lost my way. Oh Lord, speak to me... I need to hear you today! Remind me you are here. ...You've brought me this way. You have more for me! I need to hear you say... "You too have a Promised Land! Just look at my hand... see? Lean into my arms, gaze at my plans... Let Me set you free! Though your lost in a desert... Though you've lost your way... I am with you here, my child... I am with you today!" ~Carole A. Smith 10/3/12

This Can’t Be You…

I have been attending my Christian Writing/Editing Group bi-weekly for roughly two years now.   For the same amount of time I have been slowly but surely chipping away on my first book, a Memoir.   Some of the chapters are extremely telling and memories that I don’t really want to remember let alone share with others.    But they are my stories and they need to be told… so the reader can know me, relate to me and hopefully heal with me.   I read one of those uncomfortable chapters last week aloud in my group.   Chapter 3 - which should give you a pretty good idea about how long I have been holding this one back.   I have been waiting until I feel safe.   I have been waiting to see if my writing is “good enough”.   I have been waiting for someone to tell me to stop writing because it’s not good, so I don’t have to read the hard ones.   But this hasn’t happened.   So I keep writing, I keep attending and I keep reading. Today as I sit down to go over my edits and colleagues re

Life goes on...

Sunday may have been my personal proverbial five minutes of fame .   It was wonderful.   It was exhilarating.   It was nerve-wracking.   It was addicting.   And now it is over. I feel incomplete. Like something is missing. Empty. I am Empty. This troubles me, so I muse.   I analyze.   I dig around, within myself, to find a root.   To extract it.   Completely.   Like a weed, so that it will not spread.   So that it will not choke-out the good that I have planted.   Nurtured, painstakingly, until I saw the first blooms.   My garden is fragile.   Temperamental.   I must always keep a steady eye and ready hand upon the first shoots of a weed. So I dig.   I think back upon this experience.   It began a little over three months ago.   February 9 th , to be exact.   The moment I read the non-conspicuous call for local writers to audition for a reading of their personal story on motherhood.   I wasn’t expecting the invitation, which made it even more delightful; spontaneous.