Skip to main content

Ode to a Boy


I have my Poetry Scribes of Spokane meeting today and our monthly assignment is to write an Ode.

"Ode: (ohd) 1. A lyric poem characterized by lofty feeling, elaborate form, and dignified or elevated style; a form of stately and elaborate lyrical verse. 2. A lyric poem usually marked by exaltation of feeling and style, varying length of line, and complexity of stanza forms. 3. A lyrical poem praising or glorifying a person, place, or thing." http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/article.html?id=609

Lately I have been falling in love all over again with my soon to be 9 year old boy Zackary. We had a date last night which included Red Robin for dinner, warm chocolate cake and ice cream for dessert (for him) and then I took him to the Y to watch him swim. We played hangman at dinner and his first phrase-challenge for me was to solve 3 words... I LOVE YOU. Without asking me to watch, he dove into the deep end of the pool and swam his fastest laps up and down the pool. At each end, sending a silent glance my way to see if perhaps I was watching him... and you bet I WAS!

Ode to a Boy...

I have fallen in love with a boy...
The day I discovered his life, I held deep inside of mine
I knew I would never again be just I.
A new part of me, would come from one
and have me be... forever ...a part of my son.

I have fallen in love with a boy...
I finally meet him face to face - I give him a name.
He seeks life from my body and receives love from my arms.
His every move, every breath is cherished and reaps awe from my soul.
I did not know how incomplete I was, until this tiny creation had completely made me whole.

I have fallen in love with a boy...
Who is beginning to have a mind of his own.
He can sense my adoration and takes liberties with my newly learned role.
I do not know the rules of this motherhood, yet want for him that which was not mine.
He reaps rewards for his strong will and my heart breaks at my weakness of holding a line.

I have fallen in love with a boy...
He is a boy now - his ways are unknown, he can no longer be cradled in my arms, or can he?
Can I? He is my boy, but he is no longer my baby.
He seems angry now, there is not enough time
or patience or understanding between his world and mine.

I have fallen in love with a boy...
I watch him - watch me.
He wants me to see him, to know him, to be proud of him, to hear him, to love him.
And I do!
O, how I have fallen in love with my boy!

Comments

  1. Oh, now I'm in love, too! What a wonderful tribute to your son, and your mother's heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Am With You

...This poem was inspired by the Bible Study I'm in, covering the Book of Deuteronomy...  I am in a desert. I have lost my way. Oh Lord, speak to me... I need to hear you today! Remind me you are here. ...You've brought me this way. You have more for me! I need to hear you say... "You too have a Promised Land! Just look at my hand... see? Lean into my arms, gaze at my plans... Let Me set you free! Though your lost in a desert... Though you've lost your way... I am with you here, my child... I am with you today!" ~Carole A. Smith 10/3/12

This Can’t Be You…

I have been attending my Christian Writing/Editing Group bi-weekly for roughly two years now.   For the same amount of time I have been slowly but surely chipping away on my first book, a Memoir.   Some of the chapters are extremely telling and memories that I don’t really want to remember let alone share with others.    But they are my stories and they need to be told… so the reader can know me, relate to me and hopefully heal with me.   I read one of those uncomfortable chapters last week aloud in my group.   Chapter 3 - which should give you a pretty good idea about how long I have been holding this one back.   I have been waiting until I feel safe.   I have been waiting to see if my writing is “good enough”.   I have been waiting for someone to tell me to stop writing because it’s not good, so I don’t have to read the hard ones.   But this hasn’t happened.   So I keep writing, I keep attending and I keep reading. Today as I sit down to go over my edits and colleagues re

Life goes on...

Sunday may have been my personal proverbial five minutes of fame .   It was wonderful.   It was exhilarating.   It was nerve-wracking.   It was addicting.   And now it is over. I feel incomplete. Like something is missing. Empty. I am Empty. This troubles me, so I muse.   I analyze.   I dig around, within myself, to find a root.   To extract it.   Completely.   Like a weed, so that it will not spread.   So that it will not choke-out the good that I have planted.   Nurtured, painstakingly, until I saw the first blooms.   My garden is fragile.   Temperamental.   I must always keep a steady eye and ready hand upon the first shoots of a weed. So I dig.   I think back upon this experience.   It began a little over three months ago.   February 9 th , to be exact.   The moment I read the non-conspicuous call for local writers to audition for a reading of their personal story on motherhood.   I wasn’t expecting the invitation, which made it even more delightful; spontaneous.