Skip to main content

How Does Your Garden Grow?



Have you ever walked by someone’s house and had to simply stop dead in your tracks to admire the beauty of their yard?  Their flower beds, bunches of color straight from the rainbow.  Their grass neatly manicured... each blade of grass precisely the same length, the colors all so vivid and rich. 
...Then after that first thought of beauty and awe that stopped you, silently, from out of nowhere, it seems, the coveting slips in.  I wish I had a garden like that.  I wish my flowers were so gorgeous. 
...Then the feeling of disappointment at yourself that you don’t or that you could never do that, you could never have that. 
...And then the feeling of bitterness that leaves a slight sour taste in your mouth. 
...And then the emptiness that leaves you feeling a little hollow and alone. 
 All in a matter of seconds, all with no conscious thoughts of your own dragging you down that dirty back road of your mind.  And then you begin your walk again and let the fleeting moments pass.  Your thoughts drift back to the everyday distractions of life.
But what if after you first pause to admire that beauty, the very next thought you train yourself to have is to ponder, what did it take to get a garden like that, rather than immediately, I want that.  That first question, if properly considered, may just wash away the second altogether.
What does it take to have a splendid garden?
What does it take to have that great physical body of the woman casually passing you by in the grocery store?
What does it take to have a clean and organized home?
What does it take to be that mother laughing, head tossed back in joy as she pushes her child on the swing?
What does it take to be that published author?
What does it take to be that strong woman of faith that leads your bible study?

It takes hard work.  It takes discipline.  It takes dedication to the cause.  If you want to have a beautiful garden, guess what?  You have to get your hands dirty, in the mud, in the soil.  You have to get down on your knees and pull the weeds, which threaten to choke your hard work.  You have to bend over and till the earth until your back is sore.  You have to daily water and feed your tender charges so they will flourish and grow.  That person with the beautiful garden did not wish it into existence.  They worked it there.
So tell me, my friend… how does your garden grow?

"But as to this, he that sows sparingly will also reap sparingly; and he that sows bountifully will also reap bountifully."  2 Corinthians 9:6-7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am With You

...This poem was inspired by the Bible Study I'm in, covering the Book of Deuteronomy...  I am in a desert. I have lost my way. Oh Lord, speak to me... I need to hear you today! Remind me you are here. ...You've brought me this way. You have more for me! I need to hear you say... "You too have a Promised Land! Just look at my hand... see? Lean into my arms, gaze at my plans... Let Me set you free! Though your lost in a desert... Though you've lost your way... I am with you here, my child... I am with you today!" ~Carole A. Smith 10/3/12

This Can’t Be You…

I have been attending my Christian Writing/Editing Group bi-weekly for roughly two years now.   For the same amount of time I have been slowly but surely chipping away on my first book, a Memoir.   Some of the chapters are extremely telling and memories that I don’t really want to remember let alone share with others.    But they are my stories and they need to be told… so the reader can know me, relate to me and hopefully heal with me.   I read one of those uncomfortable chapters last week aloud in my group.   Chapter 3 - which should give you a pretty good idea about how long I have been holding this one back.   I have been waiting until I feel safe.   I have been waiting to see if my writing is “good enough”.   I have been waiting for someone to tell me to stop writing because it’s not good, so I don’t have to read the hard ones.   But this hasn’t happened.   So I keep writing, I keep attending and I keep reading. Today as I sit down to go over my edits and colleagues re

Life goes on...

Sunday may have been my personal proverbial five minutes of fame .   It was wonderful.   It was exhilarating.   It was nerve-wracking.   It was addicting.   And now it is over. I feel incomplete. Like something is missing. Empty. I am Empty. This troubles me, so I muse.   I analyze.   I dig around, within myself, to find a root.   To extract it.   Completely.   Like a weed, so that it will not spread.   So that it will not choke-out the good that I have planted.   Nurtured, painstakingly, until I saw the first blooms.   My garden is fragile.   Temperamental.   I must always keep a steady eye and ready hand upon the first shoots of a weed. So I dig.   I think back upon this experience.   It began a little over three months ago.   February 9 th , to be exact.   The moment I read the non-conspicuous call for local writers to audition for a reading of their personal story on motherhood.   I wasn’t expecting the invitation, which made it even more delightful; spontaneous.