Skip to main content

Arrows Out: Using God’s Armor Against ANXIETY


WARNING: YOU WILL BE ATTACKED BY FLAMING ARROWS OF THE ENEMY! 

God’s word is very clear and specific about the phrase you just read! He knows that you’ll have moments of fear and anxiety and He wants you to know it’s not from Him! So He graciously offers His armor as our solution! “Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. Take up the shield of faith with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the spirit which is the word of God.”

 Ephesians 6:14-17 (NIV)

 

Understanding the Battlefield.

Let’s set the stage for anxiety and where exactly it comes from according to the Bible.  Having knowledge of the enemy is the first key to defeating it! The enemy is Satan.  The Bible compares him to a hungry lion! “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him standing firm in the faith.” 1 Peter 5:8-9 (NIV) It also compares him to a thief in the darkness the exact opposite of Jesus. “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10 (NIV)

 

The Armor of God is our instruction manual from God on how to protect ourselves from the enemy and his lies (which is what I believe the majority of our anxiety to be, LIES!) Let’s get suited up Sisters!

 

Step #1: The Belt of Truth.

My anxiety usually manifests itself physically in my stomach. I love how the first instruction for putting on God’s armor is that we should “Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist.” When I feel those first tell-tale flutters, churning around in my gut, I grasp on to the image of firmly planting my feet on the ground.  Taking both of my arms and slowly and methodically, one belt loop at a time putting God’s belt of truth around my waist. Once it is secured, I visualize it radiating light all around me.  The truth is God.  And He is now physically wrapped around you! There is no fear in God, only a righteous fear of Him.  He is all things good and light where fear and darkness cannot exist!

You, Lord, are my lamp; the Lord turns my darkness into light.” 2 Samuel 22:29 (NIV)

*Read it and Repeat it!

 

Step #2: The Breastplate of Righteousness.

Now that we have a belt radiating the light of truth all around us, it’s time to protect our heart!  Put one of your hands over your heart and image God’s Breastplate of Righteousness.  He wants you to know first and foremost that He loves you! Now put your other hand over your heart.  God wants you to protect your heart with all your might by walking in His ways.  If we want to be protected by His light, we need to keep our own thoughts and actions in the light.  When we step out into darkness we are bound to eventually get influenced by it.  One the simplest ways to keep our mind on track with God is to read the Bible and to talk to Him!  He wants to be in relationship with you!

“Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” Proverbs 4:23 (NIV)

*Read it and Repeat it!

 

Step #3: Your Feet Fitted with Readiness that comes from the Gospel of Peace.

Let’s take a look at our feet now.  Stand still, and be still in His peace! I love the imagery of the Queen of England’s Royal Foot Guards who stand in front of Buckingham Palace.  We’ve all seen pictures or videos of tourists trying anything they can think of to make the guards move, even just an inch! But try as they may, very few succeed in getting them to move a muscle.  This is how we need to deal with our enemy!  Don’t move an inch!  Do not make eye contact!  Do not acknowledge the enemy, but instead be ready at all times to be still in God’s peace: He loves you, and only wants good for you!

 “Be still, and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10 (NIV)

*Read it and Repeat!

 

Step #4: The Shield of Faith.

“Let us take up the shield of faith with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.” (Wow! I gotta get me one of those shields!) We know that the enemy is real and that he is going to try to make his lying, thieving-ways into our hearts and mind. But we have something far more powerful than any of his flaming arrows. We have God’s Shield of Faith to protect us! All we need to do to have faith is believe. Imagine holding a shield powerfully before you. You don’t have to imagine the arrows, you believe those are real, you can feel them. Now believe that the shield is real too! It is real, because God says it is and he wants you to take it up!

Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”  Mark 9:23 (NKJV)

*Read it and Repeat it!

 

Step #5: The Helmet of Salvation.

I like to imagine my Helmet of Salvation like one of those tin-foil hats people wear on TV or in the movies to keep the aliens from probing their brain! (Hey, whatever works to get your mind out of ANXIETY mode right?) So get your imaginary tin foil out and visualize yourself putting on your high powered brain-shielding helmet. The peace of mind that comes from knowing and believing you are saved by the precious blood that Jesus shed for you will radiate throughout you. With you helmet on, your brain is safe from the probing lies, the fear-based thoughts and the heart-sinking emotions. But just like your bike helmet, it does not work when you leave it at home! You must make a conscious effort to safely secure your helmet by actively believing in your salvation:

“If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9

*Read it and Repeat it!

 

Step #6 The Sword of the Spirit which is the word of God.

Now your head is protected, your mind is secured in the faith you are saved because you believe Jesus died for you! The final piece of armor is to take up your sword! Imagine the feel of cold heavy steel grasped strongly between both of your hands.  Picture yourself raising it fearlessly above your head.  The Bible tells us God’s words are true, eternal, never-changing and all powerful. With His words, His truth, as your weapon, you are able to cut down any lies from the enemy! Test all your thoughts against what is written in the Bible before you believe them!

Set them apart in the truth; your word is truth.” John 17:17 (NET)

*Read it and Repeat it!

 

 The Bible is talking about you and me Sister; set them apart. God wants us to be separated from things that are not true. If something sounds fearful, if it’s condemning, if it stirs up ANXIETY cut it down!  You are strong, you are fierce, you are set apart. You are wearing God’s Armor!

Dear God, Thank you so much for loving me today. Thank you for opening my heart to your truth. I am so happy to know you have a place set apart for me! You want me to walk in the truth and be surrounded and protected by your awesome love. Help me to remember I have your armor! Before the enemy even has a chance today Lord, I am going to put on your armor! If you are for me Lord, than no one or nothing can truly be against me!

 

Additional Anxiety Busting Verses:

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 1 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV)

“There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” 1 John 4:18 (NIV)

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid: do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 (NIV)

“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.” Psalms 94:19 (NIV)

“Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.” 1 Peter 5:7 (NLT)

“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” Isaiah 26:3 (NIV)

“What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31 (NIV)

“…Lord I believe; help my unbelief!” Mark 9:24 (NKJV)

 
Anxiety Busters:

*Write down anxiety busting verses like Ephesians 6: 14-17 on fun colored notecards when you are feeling clear headed. 

*Keep the notecards with you at all times so when the next anxious thought attacks you can pull out your card.

*Read it and Repeat it!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am With You

...This poem was inspired by the Bible Study I'm in, covering the Book of Deuteronomy...  I am in a desert. I have lost my way. Oh Lord, speak to me... I need to hear you today! Remind me you are here. ...You've brought me this way. You have more for me! I need to hear you say... "You too have a Promised Land! Just look at my hand... see? Lean into my arms, gaze at my plans... Let Me set you free! Though your lost in a desert... Though you've lost your way... I am with you here, my child... I am with you today!" ~Carole A. Smith 10/3/12

This Can’t Be You…

I have been attending my Christian Writing/Editing Group bi-weekly for roughly two years now.   For the same amount of time I have been slowly but surely chipping away on my first book, a Memoir.   Some of the chapters are extremely telling and memories that I don’t really want to remember let alone share with others.    But they are my stories and they need to be told… so the reader can know me, relate to me and hopefully heal with me.   I read one of those uncomfortable chapters last week aloud in my group.   Chapter 3 - which should give you a pretty good idea about how long I have been holding this one back.   I have been waiting until I feel safe.   I have been waiting to see if my writing is “good enough”.   I have been waiting for someone to tell me to stop writing because it’s not good, so I don’t have to read the hard ones.   But this hasn’t happened.   So I keep writing, I keep attending and I keep reading. Today as I sit down to go over my edits and colleagues re

Life goes on...

Sunday may have been my personal proverbial five minutes of fame .   It was wonderful.   It was exhilarating.   It was nerve-wracking.   It was addicting.   And now it is over. I feel incomplete. Like something is missing. Empty. I am Empty. This troubles me, so I muse.   I analyze.   I dig around, within myself, to find a root.   To extract it.   Completely.   Like a weed, so that it will not spread.   So that it will not choke-out the good that I have planted.   Nurtured, painstakingly, until I saw the first blooms.   My garden is fragile.   Temperamental.   I must always keep a steady eye and ready hand upon the first shoots of a weed. So I dig.   I think back upon this experience.   It began a little over three months ago.   February 9 th , to be exact.   The moment I read the non-conspicuous call for local writers to audition for a reading of their personal story on motherhood.   I wasn’t expecting the invitation, which made it even more delightful; spontaneous.