Skip to main content

BFF FOR TODAY?

 
 “`You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, `Love your neighbor as yourself.’” Luke 10:27 (NLT)
 

   
~

The two of us a half

together we make a whole.

Forever…

together…

wherever we go.

I laugh, you cry, together we get mad.

You think its OK, I think it’s good

but together we decide it’s bad.

Without you I’d be lost, I wouldn’t know what to do.

And so it’s you and me, my best friend.

Forever…

together…

wherever we go.

~

 

I wrote that poem for my BFF in high school twenty five years ago!  Kind of silly, right?  But I had the best kind of friend anyone could hope for.  We were inseparable; two-of-a-kind; connected at the hip; best friends forever! 

I don’t remember a time in childhood without her.  We are only five days apart, me being the oldest.  Both of us are adopted.  Legend has it I was to be the adopted child of her parents.  Both of our parents had gone through the extensive adoption and legal processes with the same state agency.  Both of them had already received their first adopted children, theirs a son, her older brother and mine a girl, my older sister.  Her parents had specifically requested for the second child to be a girl.  My parents said they would take either sex.  And so, when I was born, a baby girl being given up for adoption, it was natural to assume her parents would get the call.  But mine did.

So what does this make us then, with this strange twist of fate?  Babies that are cosmically put into the hands and home of one parents and not the other?  The other parents get the same call about another baby born only five days later.  Both of us were born on the west side of the state and end up going to the same small rural city in the middle of the state.  Our parents are friends and we end up being best friends.

Her family became my second family, as I sought to make attachments outside of my own painful home where people seemed to be leaving me, slowly, over the course of time… one at a time.  First it was my biological mother, who at the young age of 17 gave me up.  Then my adoptive father left our family when I was only three and half.  He proceeded to take my brother away as he fought and won custody of him when I was entering sixth grade.  In my heart her parents became my parents and she became my sister. 

I don’t think she ever met my dad until I was a senior in high school.  It was almost as if I was living separate lives.  When I was with her and her family, I didn’t talk about my dad.  I never took her on any trips with me to visit my dad at his home, over a four hour drive away.  I think I kept that part of my life locked away, private, just for me.  But she never judged me, or thought of me as different from her.  We didn’t talk about him, the fact he wasn’t around and that I didn’t see him much.  She pretended I was OK, right along with me.

t’s very hard to explain to someone exactly what a best friend is or at least what my best friend was to me.  I think the clearest way to describe it was that I thought of her as a second me.  I imagine our bond to be something like the bond of twin sisters.  But that doesn’t completely capture it.  A sister is not someone you choose for yourself.  A friend is chosen.  Friendship is not a forced bond.  You have freedom.  You have to nurture a friendship.  You cannot take it or your friend for granted, as though they will always be there, like a sister or family would be. 

 
I believed she would always be there for me… 

She was my everything.  She was what I wanted to be, a daughter to a happily married mom and dad.  She had what I wanted to have… a mom and a dad together, loving each other and loving her.  I shared everything with her and did everything with her.  Being with her and her family made me feel normal, loved, wanted.  They completely accepted me into their family.  And for that, I will always be grateful.

Throughout school we both had other friends and boyfriends but our friendship remained the primary one.  And then came the summer before our senior year in school.  We both got involved in the wrong crowd, she got more pulled-in then I did.  We were both working at the local grocery store.  I was there one day when she came into the store to see me.  I remember that she was dressed unusually nice for a casual summer day, wearing all white.  I asked her where she was going and what she was doing.  She replied “Nothing.   I’m not going anywhere, I just wanted to come in and say Hi.”

The next day I learned from her parents that the day before she had run away.  They had no idea where she had gone.  Neither did I… she left them - scared, unknowing, confused, angry, hurt.  But most importantly, to me… she left me.  Just like my birth mother, dad and brother did before her. 

 

What life has taught me about Friendship…

Best Friends are people too!  They are human and they make mistakes.  They will make us mad, disappoint us, break our hearts and cause us lots of tears IF we expect them to be our everything!  Only a personal relationship with God can sustain us through all of the ups and downs of life.  Only He can love us unconditionally, even though we don’t deserve it.  That is why even the best of friends will fail us at one time or another, just as we will fail them.  But every morning you wake up, no matter what happened the day before you can trust that God will be there to love you!  One of my favorite verses in the Bible comforts me in those rocky friendship moments.  After a major blowout when I’m not sure what will be waiting the next day.  When I am afraid that this may just be the final straw for my friendship, I let God’s promises wash over me “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.  Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.” Psalms 143:8

 

Happy Ending…

Despite the crushing hurt I felt when my best friend left me.  Regardless of the hundreds of fights we have had.  Once I gave up the place of BFF to a person, and trusted that space in my heart to God, I was able to accept my friends for what they are –people!   After 43 years I am honored to still be loved by my childhood bestie.  I know God has blessed me with her, a unique gift specifically tailored for me.  He loved me so much He put her in my life so I could learn about His even greater love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am With You

...This poem was inspired by the Bible Study I'm in, covering the Book of Deuteronomy...  I am in a desert. I have lost my way. Oh Lord, speak to me... I need to hear you today! Remind me you are here. ...You've brought me this way. You have more for me! I need to hear you say... "You too have a Promised Land! Just look at my hand... see? Lean into my arms, gaze at my plans... Let Me set you free! Though your lost in a desert... Though you've lost your way... I am with you here, my child... I am with you today!" ~Carole A. Smith 10/3/12

This Can’t Be You…

I have been attending my Christian Writing/Editing Group bi-weekly for roughly two years now.   For the same amount of time I have been slowly but surely chipping away on my first book, a Memoir.   Some of the chapters are extremely telling and memories that I don’t really want to remember let alone share with others.    But they are my stories and they need to be told… so the reader can know me, relate to me and hopefully heal with me.   I read one of those uncomfortable chapters last week aloud in my group.   Chapter 3 - which should give you a pretty good idea about how long I have been holding this one back.   I have been waiting until I feel safe.   I have been waiting to see if my writing is “good enough”.   I have been waiting for someone to tell me to stop writing because it’s not good, so I don’t have to read the hard ones.   But this hasn’t happened.   So I keep writing, I keep attending and I keep reading. Today as I sit down to go over my edits and colleagues re

Life goes on...

Sunday may have been my personal proverbial five minutes of fame .   It was wonderful.   It was exhilarating.   It was nerve-wracking.   It was addicting.   And now it is over. I feel incomplete. Like something is missing. Empty. I am Empty. This troubles me, so I muse.   I analyze.   I dig around, within myself, to find a root.   To extract it.   Completely.   Like a weed, so that it will not spread.   So that it will not choke-out the good that I have planted.   Nurtured, painstakingly, until I saw the first blooms.   My garden is fragile.   Temperamental.   I must always keep a steady eye and ready hand upon the first shoots of a weed. So I dig.   I think back upon this experience.   It began a little over three months ago.   February 9 th , to be exact.   The moment I read the non-conspicuous call for local writers to audition for a reading of their personal story on motherhood.   I wasn’t expecting the invitation, which made it even more delightful; spontaneous.